Spaghetti alle Vongole
(Linguine can be used instead of spaghetti, and Mussels or tinned / frozen clams can be used.)
- 350-400g spaghetti
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 1/2tsp dried red chilli or fresh chilli chopped (adjust to liking)
- 800g – 1kg clams (well washed)
- 2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 50 ml dry white wine
- Salt and pepper
- Optional tin of tomatoes (allow and extra 10 – 15 minutes)
Step 1Cook the Spaghetti in boiling salted water until al dente, and drain.
Step 2While the spaghetti is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large pan and gently cook the garlic, shallots and chilli for 2-3 minutes until soft.
Step 3To the pan add the tomatoes and reduce down (10 -15 mins).
Step 4In a separate pan add the clams, parsley and white wine and season with salt and pepper, turn up the heat and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Cook for 4-5 minutes shaking the pan occasionally, until all the clams have opened (some may not open, so don’t overcook and discard the unopened clams).
Step 5Once cooked add the clams and juices to the other pan and stir, then add the spaghetti stir over low heat for a minute, and serve.