- 400g chestnuts peeled & par-boiled
- 70g unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs of thyme for the soup and a handful to garnish
- 250ml white wine
- 300ml Fino or Manzanilla Sherry
- 2 ltrs chicken stock or vegetable stock if vegetarian
- 1tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- Optional extra - 200g diced bacon or crisp discs of chorizo to garnish
Step 1Gently cook the garlic, shallot, leek & celery in butter til soft - 15mins.
Step 2Add thyme, bay leaf chestnuts and cook for a further 10mins.
Step 3Add wine and cook until it has been absorbed
Step 3Add half of the sherry and cook for 10mins.
Step 4Add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer slowly for 1.5 hours.
Step 5Remove thyme and bay leaf, leave to cool and blend to a fine puree.
Step 6Add more sherry if wanted, gently reheat then serve and add garnish
This is a firm family favourite. The use of olive oil is slightly unusual in baking but it makesview now