Carpenter’s Winter Vegetable Casserole
- 2 onions - each cut into 6 wedges
- 3 carrots - cut into chunks
- 3 celery sticks - cut into chunks
- 400g sweet potato or swede - cut into chunks
- 1 ltr hot vegetable stock
- 2 garlic cloves - finely chopped
- 3 leeks (300g in total) - thickly sliced
- 150g pearl barley
- 2 tsp dried sage
- salt & pepper
- 3 tbsp coarsely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley to garnish
Step 1Preheat the oven to 180 deg C. Put the onions, carrots, celery, and sweet potato or swede in a large flameproof casserole. Pour in the stock and bring to the boil.
Step 2Add the garlic, leeks, pearl barley, sage and seasoning. Stir to mix the vegetables together. Cover and transfer to the oven to cook for about 1 hour or until the vegetables are just soft, and the barley is tender.
Step 3Sprinkle withe parsley ans serve. Thick slices of farmhouse bread are an excellent accompaniment.
This is a great recipe making a delicious warming soup - comfort food in the stormy Februaryview now